Center of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Out of character thread

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Out of character thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Out of character thread

Post by Rubberneck Fri May 31, 2013 2:08 am

It's all good lol
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by spckaufman Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:57 am

FIGHT TIME... Cue the Star Trek fight to the death music... Way to be short tempered LOL
spckaufman
spckaufman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:13 am

hmph gotta play your character. you obviously knew Narcisse had anger issues what did you think would happen if you insult him? lol luckily Zander is down and out but if he wakes up and Narcisse is harmed there will be more trouble not to mention Itz who is not only a smashing doctor but a hell of a fighter as well.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:40 am

Just a game, guys. Play your character and everything will be fine one way or another.

It's Adriaan's fault they're all stuck on this island to begin with and he's been giving the others nothing but shit since they got there. Now he demands Narcisse leave Zander behind and refuses to help in preparation for the enemies that are coming. Yeah, ransom be damned. Wink
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by spckaufman Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:11 pm

Its not worth pooping your pants about. Im playing my character EXACTLY how i wrote him and so is Narcisse. I didn't expect to get in a sword fight but hey whatever. I was expecting more of a punch in the mouth. Lol. Its all good. We'll see how it goes.
spckaufman
spckaufman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:22 am

By the way I wasn't trying to sound hostile or like an ass. Just to clarify. I just hope both characters walk away from this and lessons are learned. Also hope it ends quickly now that Itz stepped in... Seeing as though Zander still needs attention...
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:24 am

Suuuuuure insult Zander while he isnt awake to defend himself... lol
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by spckaufman Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:14 am

lol Better than farting on him Razz
spckaufman
spckaufman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:21 pm

I'd like to get everyone's opinion about a particular mechanic in the game, and possibly change the way some things work in combat.

Right now, weapons simply add dice to your roll. The bigger and better the weapon, the more dice it adds. In general, I like this idea and I don't intend to change it. The result of this is that people roll lots of dice, with a more predictable amount of damage. There aren't too many surprises in melee combat.

One thing I'm not sure is so great is that pistols work the same way. They just add a bunch of dice to a roll. This means that pistols are virtually guaranteed to hit (which I don't like) but that while they do more damage than melee weapons, it's very rare for them to do extreme, life-threatening damage.

One option is for pistols is to make cover more significant (by reducing successes, instead of adding to defense). I'm pretty much convinced this is how I'd like to treat cover in the future. Another option (which doesn't exclude option 1) is to make pistols much less reliable, but much more deadly. There are two ways I can see to accomplish this.

1)Instead of pistols adding dice to a pool, they would add damage directly, assuming you hit. This means fewer dice rolled, and the shot is more likely to miss, but even 1 success would do significant damage (comparable to an "average" hit now) and 2 or 3 successes would do very high damage. One-hit-kills/incapacitates would still be quite rare.

2)Instead of pistols adding dice to a pool, each success is multiplied to determine damage. This also means fewer dice rolled, and the shot is more likely to miss. However, each success would increase the damage by a big margin. 2 successes would do very high damage, and 3 successes would be fatal without immediate medical attention. One-hit-kills/incapacitates would not be common by any means, but we would be likely to see a couple of them through the campaign. (Those of you who played white wolf games with aclockworkmelon before are used to this system).

What does everyone think? If everyone is satisfied with the steady, reliable, never-miss but never one-hit-kills the target damage we have now, I'll keep things as they are. If not, we'll switch to one of the alternatives.

Edited to add: The proposed changes will only affect pistol combat, NOT melee combat. I do not intend to change how melee combat works.

Mosier
Admin

https://mosierrpg.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Part of what attracted me to the game is the idea of its realism and danger. 16th and 17th century firearms are inaccurate. With the current system most shots are nearly (but not quite) guaranteed to hit, doing low-to-moderate damage.

I think this has a negative impact that ripples throughout the system. For example: 1.) It makes cover almost insignificant because you're only reducing the damage done from a still nearly-guaranteed-to-hit attack by a few points, whereas in my system cover is very significant, potentially turning shots that would have otherwise hit into misses altogether. 2.) It means that even longshot, hail Mary attacks are very likely to at least graze the target.

What Mosier forgot to mention from my system is that with firearms there is a -2 penalty to attack rolls due to the inaccuracy of the gun. With a pistol this means if you have Firearms 3, Dexterity 3, and a pistol specialty, you're rolling a total of 5 dice, which will on average score about 1.5 successes assuming the target is at medium range, and with 3 damage per success, that works out to 4.5 damage on average per attack from such a character. This isn't much more than under the current system, but as successes increase, damage goes up significantly. Off-setting this is the fact that with lower dice pools you're missing more often. Cover would turn further hits into misses as well.

Each system does similar amounts of damage (with mine doing a bit more) per attempted shot, with the current system doing very consistent low damage (most shots will hit but not do much damage) and my system having more misses with each hit doing more on average. Obviously I'm biased but I'd be fine with playing under any system that the rest of you agree on.
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:57 pm

And frankly I wouldn't mind seeing this system used with melee weapons, too (inaccuracy of guns would be gone, but in exchange people get to use their defense scores). :p
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:28 am

Personally I would like to see cover being more beneficial. Being a recent victim of the fact anyways lol. Also I like the idea of toning down the success rate of pistols somehow. I mean someone with a high skill obviously should not be impacted, but Zander nearly died to slavers who were probably not nearly as trained as Zander is. Maybe the dice were just not inmy favor and they hit once in a llifetime shots...
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by spckaufman Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:01 am

I like the idea of a larger chance to miss. If it was modern times I would not agree and much however, in this circumstance, I would like it.
spckaufman
spckaufman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunaticlucas Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:09 am

I also agree that it would probably be more realistic for it to have a higher chance of missing but doing more damage on success.
Lunaticlucas
Lunaticlucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:51 am

If Adriaan accepts the Heretic's offer to return home, the character Adriaan Brauwer will be retired and leave the party. If that is the case, Spckaufman may start a new character for this adventure.

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:21 am

Just an FYI ill be posting in the morning. Work is being a real bitch.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:36 am

Nate finally posted!

I like how Luis didn't bother to ask about Pip when he met with the representative of the people who'd taken him, meaning the only link to Travis' buddy is likely gone.
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:03 pm

Guns will now work as follows;

Pistols will suffer a -2 dice pool penalty.
This penalty can be negated by taking aim. Each round spent taking aim will counteract 1 point of the penalty.
Each success from a firearm test will cause 3 wounds instead of 1
Cover will now reduce the number of successes, instead of reducing the dice pool. This makes cover approximately 3X stronger.

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Tomorrow night I'll be on a red-eye flight to Jamaica, after which I'll be spending the next week here (<--click for link). The place has wifi, so I'll be able to update the game, but I might be a little more distracted than normal. 

Chapter 3, Troubled Waters, will hopefully be started tomorrow, 6/18/2013, before my plane takes off. See you all there!

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:32 pm

I'll be back from vacation late Wednesday night. At that time I'll write up a summary of all the experience the crew received, and give everyone a chance to upgrade their characters before we get too far into this new chapter. I'm currently posting from an iPad on wifi with speed that would have been embarrassing in 1999, so it's a bit difficult keeping up with the pace I'd like. Things will be back to normal soon. Thanks for your patience!

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:00 am

Howdy, not trying to sound like an ass or insensitive of your schedule Mosier, but was wondering if we could get an update as to when gameplay might resume? Thanks.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:37 am

Sorry, I know I promised an update awhile ago. I'm working on the update now and it'll be posted before I go to bed tonight.

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:47 am

Each character has been awarded 10 experience for their (mis)adventure in St Kitts.

Spending experience points:

To raise an attribute by 1 point costs 5 times the new value of the attribute. For example, to go from 3 dexterity to 4 dexterity requires 20 experience points.

To raise a skill by 1 point costs 3 times the new value of the skill. For example, to go from 3 sailing to 4 sailing requires 12 experience points.

To obtain a new skill specialty requires 3 points. For example, if you want to specialize in sailing sloop-type vessels, it would cost 3 experience points.

New merits may not be purchased directly with experience points, except through role playing. If you would like to obtain a new merit, or improve a merit you already have, please PM me the merit you would like to obtain. It will cost experience equal to two times the cost of the merit at character creation. If your character has been played in a way that justifies granting the merit, it will be awarded at a time of the GM's discretion.

For Magic users, there is an additional option for spending experience points. You have started at initiation level 0, which has granted access to the most basic secrets of your philosophy. To gain an initiation level, you must spend 10 times the value of the new level. Once you do so, you will be granted more control over your power, and be favored more by the spirits or gods (or demons!). Each initiation level will result in a "narrowing" of your power, as you become more focused on a single path. These secrets will not be given immediately, but rather revealed to you over time after the experience points are spent.

If anyone has questions about how to spend experience, feel free to ask here or via PM. I'll see you back at sea!

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2