Center of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 2: Rising Tide

+2
AClockworkMelon
Mosier
6 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Chapter 2: Rising Tide Empty Chapter 2: Rising Tide

Post by Mosier Mon May 20, 2013 11:13 pm

It has been more than a week since the crew mailed the ransom note. During that time the party has been sleeping in a room rented from a plantation owner, Jacques Bastien. The house is all Lebeau could afford with the small bit of money he had left. The other rooms in the building are occupied by plantation slaves, who toil by day growing sugarcane, and sing and dance their heathen chanting rhythms by night. Lebeau has forbidden the crew from mingling with the African and native slaves, an order which is easy follow. Two muscled and sinister looking French overseers glare at the party whenever one of them comes near the workers. Bastien himself sleeps in a large house far away from the workers. He is a ruthless man, and the party is only welcome until Lebeau's coin finally runs out.

The ransom note instructed the Brauwers to send a single representative to deliver their reply the docks of St. Kitts. Each day, Lebeau sends Zander to the docks to wait for the news. For the past 8 days, Zander has returned empty handed. Each time the rugged Englishman returns without word, Adriaan's heart sinks lower. He knows exactly what his fate will be if the others start to lose confidence in his plan. Even Adriaan himself starts to doubt the wisdom of his reasoning. Perhaps his family has finally given up on him?

But then, on the 9th day, Zander returns with a small package bearing the Brauwer family seal. Lebeau opens it eagerly. To his disgust, it contains a letter written in Dutch. Also in the package is a small gift box, approximately 2 inches square and 4 inches deep.

Captain Narcisse Lebeau,

Your reputation precedes you. My associate will deliver 60 Spanish gold doubloons to you at the docks in St. Kitts, midnight the day after you receive this letter. In return you shall deliver Adriaan, unharmed, to my associate.

To quell any ambitions you may have to deceive me, I have included a gift that should convince you that I am a man of conviction.

Proceed with caution, Lebeau.

-Yorick Brauwer

Lebeau opens the package to find a human finger inside. Still secured to the finger is a silver ring engraved with the letter P. Zander and Itz recognize it as the same ring worn by Pipsqueak, the man they met in the Hanged Hero.

Mosier
Admin

https://mosierrpg.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Chapter 2: Rising Tide Empty Re: Chapter 2: Rising Tide

Post by AClockworkMelon Tue May 21, 2013 1:45 am

Narcisse stares blankly at the severed finger before unraveling the letter and scanning it, translating choice portions aloud from Dutch. "Captain Narcisse Lebeau... 60 Spanish doubloons... midnight... Yorick Brauwer." He looks from the letter to the finger before folding the former and dropping it beside the latter. "Dutch," he says with a sigh, "they're as cunning as they are clean if they think I care what happens to the Englishman. Are we ready to begin this dance of ours?"
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Tue May 21, 2013 4:04 am

Zander looks at the finger with a slight smile of amusement. "We just met that fat bastard why do they think we care about what happens to him? This gesture just makes me want to kill this associate even more."

Zander will ask Adriaan, "Any idea who they would be sending to fetch your filthy hide?"
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by spckaufman Tue May 21, 2013 5:32 am

Adriaan, was looking around in a gesture of fake nervousness pretending to doubt the plan to steal his parents fortune. "I don't know for sure but by the looks of it I'd keep my hands in my pockets if I were you!" said Adriaan, letting out a raucous laugh! "All joking aside, this is getting serious! I recon we could be being watched by whoever is coming to get me. As much as I am going to regret this, I recommend you treat me like a prisoner from here out. I just ask that you let me tuck my pistol in under me shirt and put the knife in my boot."
spckaufman
spckaufman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Tue May 21, 2013 5:43 am

Zander laughs and then completely serious he says, "You ARE a prisoner."
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by spckaufman Tue May 21, 2013 5:45 am

"Keep runnin' your trap and the loot will be dividin' 1 less way!" Adriaan snapped back.
spckaufman
spckaufman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Tue May 21, 2013 6:00 am

At this point Zander is furious and gets damn near nose to nose with Adriaan, "If we didn't need your stinking carcass at the meeting, You'd be a dead man. Let's make one thing clear, your sole purpose of existence, the ONLY reason I don't kill you right here, is that gold. So you keep running that filthy fucking mouth until payday. My question for you is, what will stop my from slicing you up or feeding you to the barbaric doctor for practice once we collect our gold? I suggest you quit while I let you. No one threatens me!"

At this Zander turns away, afraid he might lose his temper even more and ruining the chances of ever getting out of port.

Last edited by Rubberneck on Tue May 21, 2013 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Tue May 21, 2013 9:20 am

Narcisse is indifferent as the pair argues. When the back-and-forth finally comes to an end he speaks. "Zander, you're meeting with this," he briefly touches the letter, "associate. Demand an additional four escudos for the damage done to our new friend." He considers for a moment in silence before continuing, "You're not going alone. Take two of our recently recruited crew with you. If you haven't returned by dawn I'm handing our guest over to the native: We're getting use out of him one way or another." Narcisse collects the paper and rolls it tight in his hands. "Tell them that when payment has been delivered through you," he hands the letter to Zander, "we'll release their boy and that when they have him we expect them to release the Englishman." Narcisse hopes the Dutch simply kill him.

"You," Narcisse addresses Itz in French, "are responsible for the prisoner until Zander has returned."
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunaticlucas Tue May 21, 2013 4:54 pm

"Yes Captain." Itz replies in French and rests his hand on the hilt of his Maquahuitl.

"If you try anything you'll beg me to kill you quick. And I won't." Itz said staring straight at the prisoner.

Last edited by Lunaticlucas on Tue May 21, 2013 7:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lunaticlucas
Lunaticlucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Tue May 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Zander begins preparing for the meet and will go grab 2 of the biggest of Pips crew.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Tue May 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Zander goes to the Hanged Hero tavern, but he can't find any of Pipsqueak's cadre. Everyone in the tavern pointedly avoids looking Zander, until a hefty barmaid finally gathers courage to approach him.

"You should be on your way, handsome," she says in Welsh-tainted English. "We don't want trouble, and you're nothin' but."

Apparently word of Pip's fate has already spread. Zander has the sinking feeling that he won't be able to find any of the "crew" he hired last week.

-

Meanwhile, back at the plantation, Adriaan notices something strange. He hasn't seen a slave in a long time, and the sugarcane fields seem to be deserted.

That's strange, Adriaan realizes. It's the first time since they rented the room that Adriaan hasn't seen or heard a slave near the house. The window of their rented room looks to the east. On a hunch, Adriaan goes to the slave quarters on the west side of the house.

Through the west facing window, Adriaan sees a man approaching, holding a lit torch in broad daylight. It's one of the French overseers who are normally driving the slaves.

Adriaan rushes back to the east window, where the other French overseer can now be seen at the opposite end of the house. This one is also carrying a lit torch. It can only mean one thing; Jacques Bastien has decided to murder them, and intends to burn down the house. Clearly he had hoped to take the crew by surprise, but Adriaan spotted them before they could finish the job...

(A French overseer failed a stealth roll against Adriaan)

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Tue May 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Zander looks around at the scared patrons and sighs. In English, "If you see Pip's crew tell them I need a hand getting him back. Can't do it alone. They can find me at the Jacques Plantation." If they hold any type of loyalty towards Pip maybe they will return to help. Zander will make his way back to the plantation to get Itz. Not as much backup as he had planned but it would have to do.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by spckaufman Tue May 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Adriaan, seeing what is going on, yells to the others, "FUCKIN' HELL THEM SLAVE WHIPPERS BE TRYING TO BURN US UP!" Adriaan rushes to the west window and sees that the overseer is getting closer.

In a moment of self preservation Adriaan draws his pistol takes aim and fires a round at the overseer.

Last edited by spckaufman on Wed May 22, 2013 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
spckaufman
spckaufman

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Tue May 21, 2013 9:42 pm

"Putain de salope!" Narcisse draws both his pistols and throws himself against the wall beside the entrance to the home. "Itz Coatl! Kill these gutless sons of Tortugan whores!"

Narcisse will only lean out of cover to fire with a pistol if and when Itz has charged outside to engage the attackers.
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunaticlucas Tue May 21, 2013 9:51 pm

Itz, standing there silent, quickly draws his obsidian blade and charges at the nearest enemy.
Lunaticlucas
Lunaticlucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Wed May 22, 2013 5:11 pm

The party has entered combat. Prior to combat starting, the crew has drawn their weapons.

Round 1:

The Frenchman sees Adriaan through the window, and panics as the Dutchman draws his pistol. Adriaan fires through the west window at the French slave driver. A resounding CRACK echoes across the plantation as black powder smoke mixes with the air in the house.

Adriaan knows his shot has struck its target, but he can't be sure how much damage he did. He catches a glimpse of the man rushing toward the front of the house, out of sight of the window. The Frenchman has dropped his torch, which has ignited the grass around it.

Narcisse and Itz have come out the front entrance, weapons drawn. Itz is eerily silent as he charges around the front of the house toward the man on the east. The sound of Adriaan's pistol comes from the other side of the house, at the same time as the Frenchman sees the crazed Aztec wielding an evil-looking obsidian sword and charging toward him.

"Filthy savage!" the overseer to the east shouts in French, as he drops the torch and draws his own sword, a cutlass.

Narcisse peeks around the corner and sees Itz charging the Frenchman on the east side of the house. Narcisse can hear the sound of the second Frenchman running toward him, from the west. The man is not yet in view, still blocked by the corner of the house. Narcisse will be able to shoot next combat round.

-

Narcisse, Itz, and Adriaan are engaged with two Frenchmen. Adriaan is still inside the house, and has wounded one of the men with a pistol shot. If he chooses to reload, it will take him 3 rounds. Narcisse has cover behind the corner of the house vs. the east Frenchman, while the west Frenchman approaches from the other side. Itz will be in melee range with the east Frenchman next combat round.

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spckaufman Wed May 22, 2013 5:36 pm

Adriaan, laughing menacingly holsters his pistol. "Better finnish 'im off is s' pose" drawing his sword. As the cloud of smoke clears, Adriaan leaps through the window and slashes at the wounded overseer.
spckaufman
spckaufman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunaticlucas Wed May 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Itz will try to down the east Frenchman this round and then go after the west one next. After combat Itz will try and stabilize any or both of the french men for later sacrifice.
Lunaticlucas
Lunaticlucas

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Wed May 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Narcisse glances from side to side, both arms drawn up against his chest, waiting for one of the slavers to expose themselves. He'll open fire with a single pistol on whichever one does first.
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Wed May 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Round 2.

Adriaan draws his sword as he leaps through the window he shattered with his previous attack. Once outside, he sees the French slave driver he just shot turn the corner toward the front of the building, where Narcisse is waiting.

Adriaan spent round 2 moving and drawing his weapon.

Another resounding BANG echoes through the area as Narcisse shoots the Frenchman for a second time. The bullet crashes through the man's torso, but isn't enough to stop him on the spot. The man manages a feeble attack with his sword, which Narcisse casually avoids.

Narcisse's Initiative score was higher than the Frenchman's. Because of this, he was able to "delay" his action until the Frenchman rounded the corner, and then interrupt the Frenchman's attack with his own pistol shot.

Itz' heathen sword crashes toward the skull of the Frenchman on the east side of the house. The man tries to sidestep, but isn't quick enough to avoid the hit entirely. The weapon's obsidian teeth tear into the flesh of the Frenchman's left arm, a serious but not fatal wound. The Frenchman swings his own blade almost simultaneously, striking Itz in his left rib. The strike is not perfect and does not penetrate deeply, but the Aztec has probably suffered a broken rib.

Itz has suffered 1 deadly damage from the Frenchman's attack.

Round 3

Adrian pursues his target around the corner of the building, and strikes the man from behind. His sword thrust impales the Frenchman, who gasps weakly as he collapses.

Narcisse doesn't waste any time as he turns toward slave driver who still lives. He points his second pistol at the Frenchman, using his off-hand. It feels awkward, and he's a bit concerned that he might accidentally hit Itz in the melee.

BANG! The third shot of the battle rings across the plantation as Narcisse pulls the trigger. The shot hits the Frenchman's thigh, sending him to a knee as Itz brings his wicked obsidian blade down in what will surely be a death-stroke...

At the final moment, Itz turns the weapon to its flat side, smashing the man's skull, but not killing him. The man collapses limply, knocked out by the force of the Aztec's final attack.

The other Frenchman is not so lucky. Adriaan pulls his sword free from the man's corpse, who has already lost more blood than he can hope to live through. His heart has stopped beating, and not even an accomplished healer such as Itz can save him.

The gunshots were surely heard from the home of Jacques Bastien, the owner of the plantation. He will be considering how to respond to the unexpected sound of gunfire soon. Surely, he did not expect his men to fail.

Flames begin to gather on the ground around the house. Soon it will no longer be safe here.

Zander was close enough to hear the gunshots. He sprints the rest of the way to the slave house, and finds the rest of the crew in the immediate aftermath of the battle. A column of smoke has begun to rise toward the sky, and the unconscious Frenchman can not move himself...

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 pm

Narcisse shoves both pistols away and rips his sword free. "Buffoons." He kicks the weapon of the man who'd attacked him away from the body before turning towards Jacques' home. Cheveux D'or is silhouetted against the blaze growing around the slave shanty and the fire adequately frames his mood: His usually beautiful face is twisted into a hideous snarl, teeth bared in a rage. He turns with his sword brandished at the sudden sound of Zander's approach, relaxing when he recognizes the Englishman.

"Let me guess: Complications?"
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Thu May 23, 2013 12:05 am

Zander arrives, pistols in both hands, surveying the carnage. "Indeed, but it looks like you guys had more fun. Pip's crew is nowhere to be found. It seems like word of our complications are the talk of the port. We'll need new crew most likely, unless the idiots plan on getting their pathetic leader back on their own. But we'll worry about that after we take care of the Frenchman that wanted to kill us. I wonder how much he thought he could get for our heads."

Zander will begin making his way for the main house. Pistols still drawn.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by spckaufman Thu May 23, 2013 5:20 pm

Adriaan, still angry, picked up one of the still burning torches and walked to the overseer that was near Narcisse. "See you in hell!" said Adriaan as he tossed the torch onto the overseer's body.
spckaufman
spckaufman

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Thu May 23, 2013 7:37 pm

Narcisse follows behind Zander, sword still drawn, eager for vengeance against the traitorous Jacques.
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by spckaufman Thu May 23, 2013 8:03 pm

Adriaan reloads his pistol while catching up with Narcisse and Zander. "we best not let him see us comin'"
spckaufman
spckaufman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next