Center of the World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 2: Rising Tide

+2
AClockworkMelon
Mosier
6 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Chapter 2: Rising Tide - Page 5 Empty Re: Chapter 2: Rising Tide

Post by Mosier Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:01 pm

The prosecutor takes a step backward and glances at Bastien with a look of astonishment. The crowd and judge clearly begin to sway their opinion in favor of Narcisse, as several members of the crowd gasp at the sight of Zander's wounds. Apparently the elder deceased Bastien has earned a reputation among these people, which Lebeau's story correlates with. This is clearly not going according to Meier's plan.

"That will suffice," Bastien says to the prosecutor, who shrinks as far away from the proceedings as possible.

When Bastien speaks next, he surprisingly addresses the judge, not Lebeau. Even more surprisingly, he speaks French instead of English.

"Parlez-vous Francais, Monsieur? I believe our defendant is at a disadvantage, arguing in a language he clearly has not mastered. May we proceed en Francais?"

"Oui, proceed in French," the judge says in French with remarkably accurate pronunciation.

Bastien then turns to Lebeau. He is determined and relentless as he begins to question the captain in French.

"These men you killed, they were a threat to you, n'est-ce pas? You are absolutely certain each of them meant you harm, and would have killed you unless you killed them first?"

Mosier
Admin

https://mosierrpg.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Narcisse cannot help but think that Bastien has made a mistake in asking to continue in French. "Mister Eldridge's wounds are still warm from the shot of our attackers' guns." He rises from the chair. "A slave was spared when he threw down his weapon and retreated: I pray that is evidence enough to the court that my men and I intended harm to no man who was not set on harming us. You must forgive my not having been able to interview each in turn when they came with torches, swords and rifles." He sits.
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:00 pm

At this point Zander will take a seat, satisfied with the point he had made, without having to say a word.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:09 pm

AClockworkMelon wrote:Narcisse cannot help but think that Bastien has made a mistake in asking to continue in French. "Mister Eldridge's wounds are still warm from the shot of our attackers' guns." He rises from the chair. "A slave was spared when he threw down his weapon and retreated: I pray that is evidence enough to the court that my men and I intended harm to no man who was not set on harming us. You must forgive my not having been able to interview each in turn when they came with torches, swords and rifles." He sits.

Bastien gestures toward a black man standing among the crowd, near the stage. The man is shackled, and his eyes are wide with fear. Two English soldiers stand on either side of him. Zander recognizes the man as the slave who fled from the battle at Bastien's home.

Jean-Pierre says, "As fortune would have it, the slave you spared is here today. Surely, he will thank you for your mercy and compassion." In English, he continues, "Guards! Bring the slave." 

The man takes nervous, timid steps up the stairs leading to the stage, as the English guards roughly shove him forward. In moments, he's standing face to face with his master, with his eyes cast down and away. Jean-Pierre speaks to the slave in English.

"What is your name?" Jean-Pierre asks.

"Pig, sir."

"Were you called to join Jacques Bastien at his home, the day he was killed?"

The slave hesitates. His back is covered with fresh wounds Narcisse can recognize as hot iron burn welts, a typical punishment for runaway slaves. He looks over his shoulder and sees Narcisse looking back at him. Their eyes meet, and the slave's lip quivers as his eyes become watery. I'm sorry, the expression says, but out loud he simply says, "yes." 

"Tell the court what happened," Jean-Pierre urges. 

"Men broke down master's door and went in. Me, the master, Bean, and three others were waitin' outside. Master hands me a sword, says 'cut them rascals if they show their filthy faces.' I never had a sword before. Din't know what to do with it..." He's coming to a very difficult part of the story for him, and does not want to go on. Bastien pulls his chin up to look the man directly in the eye.

"Go on," Bastien commands. 

"Master talked to 'em a bit, told 'em to give up. The blond one dared him to shoot, but he din't do it. Master never shot at 'em."

"Interesting," Bastien says. "So who shot first?" 

"Don't know, sir. Someone inside. Hit Bean in the belly. I was so scared, thought I was next. I dropped that sword and ran after Bean, wanted to see if he was alright."

"Did you see what happened next?"

"Yes I did. Bean fell down, and I laid down next to him. There was so much shootin', sounded like 5, maybe 6, 7 gunshots. I looked back at the house, saw an Indian, the blond one, and a skinny kid fightin' master and the others, with swords. They killed everyone, 'cept one."

"Why do you think they spared the last one?"

"Cuz he surrendered," Pig says. "Dropped his sword, and the blond one led him back into the house." He seems almost happy to be able to say it, as he's sure the testimony will help the man who killed his master. 

Bastien doesn't even bother to dismiss the slave as he turns toward the judge, speaking French once again. "The Frenchman who surrendered was Mathieu Fornier, a loyal servant to the Bastien family," Jean-Pierre says. "His throat was slashed inside the home, while he was unarmed and defenseless. Mathieu's brother, Henri Fornier, was another loyal servant, who's throat was also slashed near the Bastien slave quarters. These are not defensive wounds, your honor. They were executions."

The judge is clearly moved by Jean-Pierre's argument. "Have you any explanation for this?" the judge asks Narcisse. "You may cross-examine the witness."

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:36 pm

Narcisse wrinkles his nose, eyes narrowed dangerously. "We're accepting the word of slaves? Give me an hour and I'll produce a slave to tell you where to find El Dorado, your honor, and mine won't be a runaway of low character. I have a white witness for every negro he can produce." 

Narcisse rises from the chair, shackles clanging violently at the suddenness of it. The Frenchman appraises the slave before finally locking eyes with him. "Pig," he begins, and he could just as easily be insulting the man as referring to him by name, "do you believe in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ?"
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:33 pm

AClockworkMelon wrote:Narcisse wrinkles his nose, eyes narrowed dangerously. "We're accepting the word of slaves? Give me an hour and I'll produce a slave to tell you where to find El Dorado, your honor, and mine won't be a runaway of low character. I have a white witness for every negro he can produce." 

Narcisse rises from the chair, shackles clanging violently at the suddenness of it. The Frenchman appraises the slave before finally locking eyes with him. "Pig," he begins, and he could just as easily be insulting the man as referring to him by name, "do you believe in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ?"

The slave called Pig says, "Course I do, sir. Baptized 'n everything." The testimony is unconvincing, and Narcisse sees the man's eyes dart downward for a split second, toward his feet. 

Pig has a small triangle shape tattoo on the first knuckle of his left big toe. It's easy to overlook, and even his own master probably doesn't realize that the slave has a voodoo symbol of warding etched into his own body.

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Narcisse changes course suddenly, putting his finding to the back of his mind for now. "Your owner had at least fourteen, fifteen men under his employ, not including you and your fellow slaves. Isn't that right?" He doesn't wait for Pig to answer. "I had three men in my employ. What savages my men and I must be, to fight against such odds, and without provocation, too. And to cut the throats of surrendering men? My men must be monsters. Strange, then, that you escaped." He looks to the crowd before returning his gaze to the slave and continuing, cutting off any response Pig may attempt.

"What a merciful soul your new owner must have, to release my accomplices minutes after our murder of his own father and his loyal men." He faces the crowd as he pretends to await an answer, the momentary silence pregnant with tension. "Interesting how a man with the most brutal of reputations, like your former owner, can father a man as patient and forgiving as the Lord Himself."

He goes on the attack in an instant. "The truth is you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about, isn't that right?" He turns to the crowd again, "Jean-Pierre drags an animal-worshiping negro slave before this court and expects you to believe the song it has prepared. Even now it bears its sin tattooed on its foot." Narcisse's voice is full of outrage. "The son is using the court to finish the work of the father. Stay awhile, ladies and gentlemen, maybe he'll call his horse to testify next."

Narcisse drops back into his chair.
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:04 pm

"I have heard enough," the judge says. The French speaking crowd murmurs at the announcement, but the English speaking crowd isn't particularly impressed. Narcisse can now see why Bastien chose to switch to speaking French. The Englishmen would be much more likely to be sympathetic to Narcisse, whose only crime was to kill one of their enemies. Keeping the English speaking crowd as ignorant as possible made it much more difficult to rouse them to action.

The judge speaks loudly enough for the crowd to hear, "Narcisse Lebeau, I find you guilty of needless destruction of property, and trespassing. I see sufficient evidence to be convinced that you were attacked without provocation, however you did not operate within the law when you broke into Bastien's home, and shot his slave. The proper course of action would have been to seek protection from the authorities, but you chose to seek revenge instead.

For these crimes, you shall either pay Jean-Pierre Bastien in coin, or in service. The fine is ten gold doubloons, to be paid immediately to Jean-Pierre Bastien. If you cannot afford this fine, you will serve Jean-Pierre Bastien for a term of five days. During this time, you will be supervised by an agent of the crown, and you may not refuse any legal request Bastien makes of you between the hours of 8:00 in the morning, and 10:00 at night. Make your choice now, Lebeau."

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:08 pm

"The fine will be paid. Your honor, does Jacques Bastien's estate not owe recompense for his attempt on my life and the near slaying of Eldridge? Can Jean-Pierre not be paid from it?"
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:29 pm

The judge's eyes narrow. "The court's decision is final," he says. "File your grievance with the office of the governor, if you wish. Now pay the fine, or go back to jail."

Narcisse may have just talked his way out of a hangman's noose, but Jean-Pierre Bastien still has the maddeningly frustrating pleasure of getting the last laugh, today. Lebeau nods to Itz, and says, "Pay him." 

Itz stands and walks to Jean-Pierre, but the Frenchman holds his hand in the air and loudly proclaims in French, "Non, monsieur. The court's order was that Narcisse himself must pay the fine, not his minion. I insist on enforcing the terms of the judgment."

Itz looks to Narcisse for guidance, who simply nods. Two English soldiers unshackle Narcisse, who stands to meet the Aztec as he approaches. Itz drops ten gold Spanish doubloons into Narcisse's hands, and silently returns to the crowd.

Jean-Pierre and Narcisse meet in the middle of the stage, where the golden-haired Frenchman hands the slave owning teenager a small fortune in gold. Jean-Pierre seizes Narcisse's forearm and says to him in a tone too quiet for the crowd to hear, "We do not have to be enemies, captain. If you want revenge on Henry Albright, your true enemy...you know where to find me. Until then, I'll hold these for you." 

The younger Bastien then graciously bows as he places the coins in his coat pocket. Not another word is spoken between them. 

-

The crew is in a much better position than they were just two weeks earlier. The Sun Crown has been been repaired, and awaits the return of her crew. All that stands between them is satisfying Narcisse's debt to Henry Albright. The crew is eager to leave this backward, grimy colony, the aborted bastard child of England and France. 

Albright himself travels with five armed, professional retainers, spending two days a week in his office near the docks, in the merchant section of the city. He spends the rest of his time on his sprawling estate, which covers four hundred acres of cattle grazing land and sugarcane fields. 

If anyone has any business left to attend to here, now is the time. Otherwise, Albright will be paid and the crew will be departing in tomorrow's post, on 6/16/2013.

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:40 pm

Before they set sail Zander would like to discuss with Narcisse and the rest of the crew whether or not we actually want to pay Albright, or kill him and keep the money for ourselves. Also at this point in time Zander will go looking for Pip, probably with the help of Travis, just to be certain of Pip's fate.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhubarb77 Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:36 pm

Travis goes with Zander to find Pip, in the hopes that he might still be alive somewhere.  Also, regardless of Pip's fate, Travis will attempt to round up the rest of his crew and see if they want to join Narcisse's crew in the interest of traveling the world and making worthwhile profit here and there.
Rhubarb77
Rhubarb77

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:53 pm

Now freed, Narcisse returns to the company of his comrades. Once introduced to Travis and caught up on what's happened since his arrest he takes the remaining coins from Itz and weighs them in his hand, trusting his crew's count of them. "Quite the coincidence that the fine and cost of repairs would be exactly enough to leave us penniless once again." He considers bidding Zander, Itz and Travis to go find what crew they can without him, but with a considerable fortune on his person and without a safe place to stay he resolves himself to accompany the others. He follows in silence behind the rest of the group as they make their way back into town, rubbing his wrists idly as they go.
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:17 am

As They head to town, most likely to the bar where they first found Pip (Unless Travis knows of a super secret, super awesome hideout where the crew stays) Zander strikes a conversation with Narcisse, "So Boss I know I screwed up back there at that plantation, got me damn near dead, and you put in shackles. Just wanted to say it wont happen again. But hey at least we got rid of that ignorant Dutchie..." he trails off for a moment, "You got plans for Albright? We going to give him our last bit of coin or are we going to try and take our boat back by force?"
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:03 am

Rubberneck wrote:"So Boss I know I screwed up back there at that plantation, got me damn near dead, and you put in shackles."
Narcisse gives Zander a bitter look but doesn't reply. 

Rubberneck wrote:"You got plans for Albright? We going to give him our last bit of coin or are we going to try and take our boat back by force?"
"I'm fresh from a cell and you're shot to pieces. You're deluding yourself if you think there's a way off this island with a single escudo to our names."
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:17 am

Zander is not surprised by the captain's bitterness. "These wounds will heal over time and hell we have the new guy! If we can find the rest of the crew we might be able to even the odds a little... I don't know boss, not too keen on the idea of giving him all the money is all."
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosier Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Narcisse stands before Albright, both men flanked by hardened, mean-looking ruffians.

"Managed to find another sucker for your crew, I see," Albright says, gesturing toward Travis. "Hope he lasts longer than your last previous crew did. Skeleton crew, indeed." The comment is not far from the truth. Narcisse, Zander, Travis, and Itz would have a hard time sailing the Sun Crown without help. 

Lebeau hands the man a small bag of coins, his heart filled with hate and resentment. The fact that he has contributed to Henry Albright's wealth fills Narcisse with loathing. But strangely, a burden seems to lift from Lebeau's shoulders as Albright pulls the coin purse away. This is just one more step to freedom. Nothing else stands in his way. 

As the small crew heads to the dock space where the Courronne Solair is berthed, two men stand in the crew's path. One of the men is slender and wiry, head shaved, and skin black as night. The other is a towering hulk, nearly seven feet tall and broad as two men, also bald, with a thick red beard and mustache. Travis' eyes light up as he sees familiar faces. He recognizes the men as part of Pip's crew.

The hulk extends his arms and embraces Travis briefly, laughing in a deep voice. "Good t'see ya mate!" the man bellows in crude, native English. 

"Good to see you well," the Negro adds in French-accented English. He does not touch Travis, but simply nods in greeting.

The black man then turns to acknowledge Narcisse. "I am Ndugu, and this is Bartholemue."

"Bart," the giant interrupts.

Ndugu continues without acknowledging Bart's outburst. "We are both quite capable sailors. If there is room on your ship, we will serve you for a fair share of any profits the crew earns. You'll get three shares, your first mate will get two, and the rest of us all get one share each. What do you say, captain?"

Mosier
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AClockworkMelon Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:08 pm

"We only have but a few rules on this ship." Narcisse irritably counts on his fingers as he goes on to mention each article in French, leaving it to someone else to translate. "No gambling aboard my ship. No drunkenness on duty. No stealing from the company." He continues as he pushes past them and makes his way up the ramp to the Couronne Solaire. "Gamblers and drunks will be whipped. Thieves will be shot. And he," he turns at the top of the ramp to point to Itz, "gets one and a half shares. You'll thank me for it when you're on his block."
AClockworkMelon
AClockworkMelon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubberneck Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:42 am

Zander, already knowing the rules, translates for the 3 new crew members, guessing that none of them speak French. He adds a question in once Narcisse has finished, "Where's the rest of the crew?" Zander is not eager to give more potential profit away but the ship wont sail itself and the more help on board the easier it would be to sail, and complete jobs.
Rubberneck
Rubberneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5